Friday, May 8, 2009

Cover Song Thursdays: Cash Kills It

In many ways this Nine Inch Nails cover by Johnny Cash has become more famous than the original.

Now I'm not one of those music snobs who believes that a cover can never be as good as an original. But I have to admit, when somebody told me that Cash was covering "Hurt" I was more than skeptical. Nine Inch Nails's Downward Spiral was one of my favorite albums growing up and "Hurt" has a special place with me. If I could put together one CD full of songs that remind me the most of my high school years, "Hurt" would definitely be on it.

Reluctantly I listened to the Cash version and, lo and behold, the man in black absolutely killed it. Nearing the end of his life, Cash's older solemn voice gave new life to the song. For me the song changed from a typical remorseful song of events passed and wondering what could have been, to an old man at the end of his life looking back on the wrongs he committed.

Anyway, enough waxing poetic. Enjoy the tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment